I am available for consultation and treatment in the Palm Beach (Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, West Palm Beach, Boynton Beach, Boca Raton), Fort Lauderdale, and Miami communities. I also welcome you to read my previous post on how depression can be easily overlooked in yourself or others.
Here is a list of common symptoms of depression, also known as major depressive disorder (MDD):
Symptoms of Depression
- Feelings of sadness, emptiness, loneliness, or pointlessness.
- Feelings of worthlessness, guilt, hostility, or aggression.
- Overwhelming feelings of grief, loss, hopelessness, or despair.
- Frequent explained or unexplained crying episodes.
- Loss of interest in enjoyable activities (e.g., hobbies, socializing).
- Recurrent thoughts of self-harm, death, or suicide.
- Becoming overly-apologetic.
- Getting into frequent fights or disagreements with others.
- Having a low tolerance for frustration.
- Skipping events because you don’t want to “bring other people down”.
- Deteriorating or strained relationships.
- Disinterest in other people (e.g., ignoring spouse, kids).
- Social isolation or keeping to yourself because you don’t want to “bother” others (e.g., turning down invitations, making excuses).
- Impaired work/school performance (e.g., missing deadlines or not meeting responsibilities).
Self-Neglect / Self-Care Symptoms
- Erratic or dysregulated schedule, such as not having a consistent sleep schedule (e.g., staying up all night, becoming nocturnal).
- Neglecting personal needs (e.g., skipping meals, exercise).
- Caring little or not at all about your physical appearance (e.g., not bathing, shaving, or styling hair).
- Difficulty sleeping (i.e., insomnia) or sleeping all the time (i.e., hypersomnia).
- Waking up early and not being able to go back to sleep.
- Poor concentration/memory or forgetfulness.
- Reduced sexual interest and desire.
- General slowness (e.g., walking slowly, taking a long time to dress or eat).
- Low energy and fatigue.
- Headaches, aches and pains, or stomach aches.
- Noticeable changes in your weight or appetite (e.g., unintentionally gaining or losing weight).
Questions or comments about depression? Additional symptoms you’ve experienced during a depressive episode? Sound off below.